IT IS BY FAR THE CHEAPEST HERE AS ALL YOU FRIENDS MAY BE AWARE , BY A GOOD FORTUNE OF THE GRACE OF THE GOOD LORD ABOVE , I HAVE TRAVELLED FAR AND WIDE ACROSS THE GLOBE AND HAVE ALSO HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO TRAVEL BY TRAIN IN MANY OF THESE COUNTRIES . SITTING HERE IN CANADA I CAME ACROSS A BOARD WHICH WAS POSTED IN ANOTHER GROUP WHICH SHOWED THE PASSENGER TRAIN FARE DETAILS EX AMBAS TO VARIOUS PLACES . WE , WHICH INCLUDES ME , YOURS TRULY FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASON LIKE TO CRITICIZE THE SERVICE PROVIDERS BE IT FROM THE STATE OR CENTRAL AUSPICES FOR NO LOGICAL REASON AND DO A GREAT DISSERVICE TO OUR NATION BY PAINTING IT IN ALL THE WRONG COLOURS. TAKE FOR EXAMPLE THE PASSENGER TRAIN FARE FROM AMBASAMUDRAM TO KOVILPATTY . FOR THE 100 KM DISTANCE THE FARE ON THE INDIAN RAILWAYS IT IS Rs 25 OR 40 PAISE PER KILOMETER . FORTY PAISE PER KILOMETER WHEN YOU COMPARE THE SAME WITH THE TRAIN F...
NEW LOOK AMBAI RAILWAY STATION Right from my childhood days , the annual trip down South to RAVANASAMUDRAM, my Native Village from the then CALCUTTA or KHARAGPUR during the Summer Vacation has always been an amazing experience . This was more so for the Meter Gauge journey from Chennai Egmore to Tirunelveli First and then to RAVANASAMUDRAM by the Shencottah Passenger . The change over from the Electric to Steam Locomotive at Villupuram Junction Station was a much looked forward to event . AMBASAMUDRAM Railway Station was a much awaited location as the Steam Locomotive billowing smoke with the rumbling Sound of the Train as it crossed the Tambarabarani River Bridge with the huge Iron Girders was an unforgettable experience . The ARISI MURRUKKU was a much awaited treat at this station . The 130 Year old Quaint Station still retained some of its old ENGLISH traits . Being the Days of the Steam Locomoti...
A JOURNEY THAT WENT ON TO CHANGE MY LIFE I must at the very outset post a disclaimer here . The events which I am about to describe here are events that took place some half a century back . My memory is not all that good , come to think of it , it never was . I shall however try and relate to things that happened in the 70 s to the present times based on my not so very good memory and my passable English . I never imagined that my decision to visit RAVANASAMUDRAM in early 1974 will bring about such far reaching changes in my life. I had passed out from SASMIRA , Worli , Mumbai with a Diploma in TEXTILE TECHNOLOGY . I had a job even before passing out and had at WAYON GLASSTEX , A FIBERGLASSG weaving unit at Saki Naka in Mumbai for almost year and got a better job at THE HINDUSTAN M...
Comments
Post a Comment